Friday, February 26, 2010

BIG decision

I have about 15 minutes until my bus comes so I thought I'd let all (3) of my readers know what's going on right now. As many of you already know, Monte wants to go to med school. I totally support him in that desire because he really does love the medical field. When he thought he was going to be a clinical psychologist for the rest of his life he just wasn't excited about life. Now that he's back on the medical track he is so excited about EVERYthing. It's great.

Anyways, medical school is pretty darn expensive. Like, I've heard it's typical to come out of residency with like $250,000 worth of debt. That's the cost of a house, my friends. And we'll probably already have a house payment by then. Pretty stressful, but I know people get out of it, especially since doctors tend to make a lot of money.

To avoid huge amounts of debt Monte has been looking into joining the Air Force. They pay for school, help you choose medical schools, and are basically awesome about you getting an education. The downside is that Monte would have to go to Officer's Training next summer back east for a WHOLE MONTH. Now, as you people probably know, I have a hard time even if Monte has to work til midnight. Going to sleep without him is the worst thing ever. SO, if he were to join the military and have to be gone for huge amounts of time like that I've decided that I would just take a long trip (not the whole month, of course) with my family/friends to distract myself from the fact that he's gone. Hopefully....that would help missing him.

Another downside is that Monte would have to work for the Air Force for 4-6 years after residency. That's a long time. BUT at least he would have a secure job and gain lots of experience. During that time the Air Force could send us to live pretty much anywhere (as far as I know). Shaylee and Shawn were stationed in the craphole of New Mexico (Alamogordo) when they were in the Air Force. But then, we could be sent to Europe. I've heard of a lot of people who are stationed in Germany and Italy.

While it's kind of downside that we'd have to live where they told us to, it would be a GREAT opportunity to share the gospel. Which is scary. Because I am not the best at it. But I think that I would be fine and have a good time with all of the other wives on base.

So. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? We're not sure. We've been praying about it and we're going to the temple tonight. Hopefully we are receptive to the spirit, but we'd love advice from all of you, as well.

6 comments:

Regs said...

It is scary - I almost married an Air Force pilot. But the opportunities are awesome and the no debt while getting a salary? Kind of cool. I have LOTS of friends here in Oklahoma in dental and med school that joined the military. They're all glad they did. Good luck with your decision!! I love you!!

Becca said...

Jay went through this same dilemma about a month ago. After talking to a bunch of people and even meeting with the official peeps, he opted out of it. Yes it's a lot of debt but also, once you are signed up with them, if I understand correctly, then you could just stay stateside, but you are theirs for like 4 years. which is nothing compared to how much they pay for you. However, it could mean being sent to more dangerous (iraq) places. I mean, I was totally pro Jay going for it, but I also understood when he opted not to do it. If he want to talk to him personally you can.

Becca said...

um i guess i didn't finish reading this the first time through. obviously you know everything i just said.

but that is a great point that you would be able to share the gospel with people. and you would be way good at it. didn't you think about going on amission for awhile?

that would be a-mazing if you went to italy. seriously. but we would miss you guys even though we dont hang out we would still miss the chance that we could hang out with you. haha.

hope the temple was nice. i was so sad not to be able to go with.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Regan! I'm glad to hear that you know people who are doing it and it's working out for them.

Becca, you're funny. We have a few friends who looked into it, then decided not to join, kind of like Jay. Monte is going to apply to be in ROTC this week. He may not even be able to get in because of some health issues, so that will be our answer.

hayley said...

There are a ton of benefits from joining the military. My grandpa, aged 94, is still enjoying his. Russell has actually been considering joining the Navy for their meteorology program. The thing about the military though is that nothing is ever certain. They can pretty much tell you to do whatever they want, and you can't oppose them. But, what they offer as far as support and reward is reliable and safe. Plus Monte could probably retire pretty young. You would probably get to see at least a couple interesting places in your travels, and you'd have each other to get through it all. If it ends up that he does join, I think you will find ways to handle everything. If not, you will also find other ways of handling things. Good luck to you cutie pies. I will go on a trip with you. I will also come visit you if you move somewhere I want to go;).

Shaybaybobay said...

If it's any help, their medical is amazing. We didn't pay one cent for Ian's birth. For any worries, or sickness you can up and see the doctor. You never pay anything.
The 3 years we were in the air force, I loved them. Shawn was gone no longer than 9 weeks when he did have to go somewhere, but we got through it. Visiting family, and having friends to support you is the best thing. And my #1 favorite thing about the air force, was getting out of Utah. Yes, I love Utah. But it was a huge reality check to me that not everyone is LDS. Hearing people's troubles and to be friends with those who have chosen not to hear the gospel, IS such a blessing. Especially troubles that you don't hear while living in Happy Valley. Utah is so sheltered compared to other places. I never wanted to be apart of the LDS church while being in Utah, people take it for granted and are liars. But out here...I love the people. I love the church. I hope that helps, sorry to rant. I really miss being in the air force, and I miss all the the opportunities of travel. I now know someone in every region of the USA, I even know people over seas. You learn that the world really is a Small World.
Oh, and they paid 100% for Shawn's schooling. He never had debt because of their help.
Sorry so long, I'm ranting. I'm actually excited Monte is considering the air force, I really loved it.
I hope you had a Happy Birthday, I love you!