Wednesday, April 15, 2009

don't forget earplugs

So, Monte thinks we’re made of money or something. That’s the only excuse I can think of. And here’s why. He bought two guns. Not one, but TWO. That’s right.

Mind you, these aren’t little pistols. These are rifles. And he bought me my “own” gun, too. I did not ask for this. I think he just wanted to get me something easy to use so I’d be entertained when he wanted to go shooting (which he now wants to do almost every week).

Now, don’t get me wrong. I think going shooting is great fun. I really like doing it. I’m the worst shot ever, just so you know. I’m even worse now that we put a scope on my gun. I don’t think it’s sighted in correctly. That’s the excuse I’m using, at least.

Here are some sample pictures that Google helped me find since I’m too lazy to upload pictures to my computer.


Exhibit A: My .22 (the black one at the top; I sometimes fantasize about having the pink one...)

I think it’s like a semi-automatic, or something like that, because you just load the clip with like 15 bullets and then you just shoot, shoot, shoot until they’re all gone. I think this is a good feature since I’m too impatient to reload after every shot. It’s really quite awesome. I like it a lot.

Exhibit B: Monte’s Soviet rifle

So, I guess the USSR, after WWII, had about a zillion of these laying around in warehouses, never having been used. They were a bit paranoid. Monte really likes the history around this gun, I think. The ammo’s kind of expensive, though, so he only shoots it like 4 times every time we go shooting. It has QUITE the kick to it. I have only shot it once and it almost took my arm out of it’s socket. That might be a slight exaggeration.

After the guns and ammo have been purchased and used multiple times, I really don’t have many complaints. It’s a fun activity that Monte and I like to do together and it gets us out into the middle of nowhere. My only complaints are 1) the bad weather and 2) the fact that we live so far away from areas where shooting is allowed. The weather issue will take care of itself in a few weeks, but we are getting so frustrated about finding places to go! If any of you have any suggestions (besides on the west side of the Lake, Provo rifle range, and Hobble Creek canyon), then please let us know. We heard there’s an okay place to go up by the entrance to American Fork canyon, but don’t know where it is. Maybe someone out there can enlighten us hick-folk. Ha.

5 comments:

Meg Duffy said...

THIS IS GREAT! oh monte!!!


NIKKIIIII!
I AM COMING BACK TO PROVO IN THREE DAYS AND I WANT TO SEE YOU BECAUSE I MISS YOOOOOOOOOOOOU

Shaybaybobay said...

haha guns.. I'd like the pink one as well.
I once dated a guy who shot guns. We went to a shooting range in Spanish Fork, it was indoors and they supply the targets for you. I had quite fun, but I don't remember how much the entrance cost was. Maybe it would save on some gas money? I bet you could look up the location in the yellow pages. Have fun with those things!

smellame said...

You'll shoot your eye out! Just kidding. I probably would, or someone else's. I think Ryan would like to own some guns.

Naomi Hanks said...

You could live in Chicago where you so much as mention the word "gun" you get thrown in jail. There are a ton more indoor/outdoor shooting ranges in Utah than there are here!

smart alec said...

i wish you had the pink one too. hot. i shot guns with my dad when i was little, but it only happened a couple times and then he never let me shoot them again...maybe that's why i'm an only child...

right....anyway...i'm very impressed with your shooting skills.