Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Burnt

I've started to take on the responsibility of cooking dinner twice a week for my family. I switch off with my mom and Maecy. This is only the second night I've cooked, but I can tell it's going to be rough.
Yesterday my mom and I were deciding what to make and she requested that I make barbeque chicken pizza (the same kind Deb, Ali, and I made those two times). And, since I'm such an obliging person, the ingredients were written down and purchased to day so I could make it.
Everything started out fine, except that (as usual) I was running low on time. My mom was gracious enough to grill and chop up the chicken (the part I hate doing). She's a winner. Did it in record time. I grated all of the cheeses, measured all of the sauce, put the pizzas all together, and tossed them in the oven. Set the timer for 15 minutes because the recipe said 20 and I thought that was kind of long.
After those suckahs were in the oven I went outside to check out the progress on our halfway newly paved dirt road (I know! Crazy news. I'm not sure what in the heck their thinking, but there's suddenly pavement out there). After a few minutes (I thought) I came back in to hear the buzzer going off, smoke everywhere in the house, and my mother pulling the stupid things out of the oven.
They were completely burnt. As in "you'll get cancer if you eat this" burnt. And this, my friends, is why I hate cooking. You put so much effort into a meal, turn your head for one second, and then....it's ruined. Bites the big one.

5 comments:

deb said...

Man alive, that does suck. And BBQ pizza. That really does bite the big one.

smellame said...

Yes, I am not so much good at the cooking thing. I never have any idea of what to make, and nothing ever tastes right to me. We end up eating a lot of canned and processed boxed stuff at my house. My poor poor family. We would probably eat healthier if we had the funds to eat out all of the time.

inanechatter said...

Ha! Lame. So they're paving the road, as in the front of the house? Crazies.

hayley said...

oh, I bet they would've been so good with all those fancy cheeses and sauces and things. Don't give up, perhaps you can take up some culinary classes (I said that Q-lin-reen clah-sez)

Dani said...

i burnt my caramel popcorn the other day. i made it for the missionaries that were over. not in a flirty way, you sicko! anyway, i hate burning stuff too. i'm like opposite of a pyro.