Sunday, November 01, 2009

We had to work for candy when I was a kid.

What's up with Trunk or Treats? Is the world getting too scary, enough that we need to have trick-or-treating in our church parking lots? Sad news, guys. I remember when there would be hoards of kids on the streets on Halloween--sometimes we had to wait in line at doors to get the candy! We spent hours working for our pillow cases to get about 1/3 of the way full. I loved it. I got to roam the neighborhood and ask everyone for candy. It was my dream come true.

Monte and I decided to be supportive and go to our ward's trunk-or-treat, held in our church parking lot. Gift certificates were given to the three people with the spookiest trunks (or really, just best decorated). One person even created a mini spook alley in their back seat that the children had to crawl through. Monte and I weren't cool enough to even clean out our trunk so we just stood next to our closed trunk with a huge bowl of candy (which we abundantly gave out--we didn't want to take any home). Man, those children had it good. The ward provided donuts and hot chocolate for everyone and some people in the ward brought bakes goods to give away.

Here are some pictures of the event/evening for your viewing pleasure.I'd like you to notice the boots. The went to above my knees. The heels are about4.5 inches tall. Tallest heels I've ever worn. My feet were KILLing me after about 20 minutes, but it was totally worth it. Oh, they were only $7 at Charlotte Russe last Christmas.Monte was really just a doctor, but after he put my hat on he became a witch doctor.The backseat spook alley

2 comments:

[Morgan] said...

ha ha ha. a witch doctor, that's awesome.
yes, i would have to agree that i miss the pillow case trick or treating days. but, to answer your question on being too scary. . . we live in the same neighborhood right?...lol.

hayley said...

those are cute trunks, but yeah, what the H. I feel sorry for a child that lives in a world where he or she can't go around banging on doors for sugary loot. I was always the kid that had the hole in the pillow case, I blame it on my last-place place in the family, I got the crappiest pillow case. At the end of our arduous labor for food (take THAT panhandlers) we'd pour it all on the floor, count it, sort it, and trade it while watching cartoon Halloween specials ranging from Garfield's Halloween to the latest Simpson's Treehouse of Horror. BOY I LOVED it. The thing I DID hate about tromping around the neighborhood was that I would have to wear a coat over my costume, but for Pete's sake, yesterday was the most beautiful Halloween any child could ever ask for, and how do they celebrate??? TRUNK OR TREATS IN A PARKING LOT!!! It seems to me that Trunk or Treats are a lazy solution to un-safety. Can't parents just go with their kids, or for the older kids, make them tell you exactly where they're going with a list of who they're going with and an itemized list of all costume props and a flashlight hat and a flashlight hand and a knife in their waistband and walkie talkies and back up walkie talkies and one of those switchblade knives that pops out of the toe of a boot??? I mean really people.